Who doesn’t love themselves a great, spicy Paella? It always reminds me of vacation, the ocean and the sun and it just makes me smile 🙂 But since a few months Fäb and I follow a rather strict Paleo diet. And with paleo comes the “no grains rule”. So Paella with its tasty rice in it is just not paleo at all.
Or maybe it is?
Why use rice if you could use an even more nutritious substitute? Like cauliflower <3 And it’s not only tasty and simple it’s also healthy as hell. It is low carb, it is nutritious and it is a really awesome Paella. So let me show you how it works.
Let’s talk about the WHAT!
Ingredients for 4 Servings
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 1-2 onions
- 100 g shrimp
- 100 g mussels
- 150 g chicken breast or wings
- 50 g of chorizo sausage
- 700 ml of chicken broth
- 150 g tomatoes
- 1 tbsp of olive oil (or any oil)
- Salt, Pepper, sweet paprika, saffron, chilis (but only if you like it spicy :D)
Get started – it is as simple as that:
1. First cut the chicken in small pieces and chop up the onions. Then slice up the chorizo as you prefer.
2. In a large pan heat the olive oil and add the chicken pieces. Add salt and pepper and fry until lightly golden. Meanwhile you can chop up the tomatoes.
3. Remove the chicken from the pan once it reached a nice golden color and set aside.
4. Turn down the stove to medium heat. You now need to add the chorizo and slowly fry them. It is very important to not add to much heat because they will otherwise burn. By nearly cooking them you gain that rich and lightly spicy taste your Paella needs to get great! Once the chorizo seems fried enough, just take it out and set aside as well.
5. Now add the chopped up onions to the pan and fry. Once they get a little brown add the chicken broth. Also add the chicken and the tomatoes. If you like you can also add the chorizo pieces.
6. While all ingredients are simmering at medium heat, cut the cauliflower into pieces and put it in your mixer. Slightly shred the cauliflower until it has the desired size. It should look a little bit like rice. If you don’t own a mixer – No worries. Just cut the cauliflower in even smaller pieces, put it in a small bag and start beating the cauliflower with a rolling-pin. It won’t be exactly the same result, but it works 🙂
7. After a view minutes add the cauliflower rice as well as the shrimp and mussels to the pan. Season with saffron, sweet paprika and if you like it spicy some chili.
8. Once the cauliflower rice has the desired consistency your are done. <3
Try it out! And let me know what you think of cauliflower rice instead of “normal” rice.